10 Reasons to Read Word and Breath
1. Word and Breath is a book for book lovers—all about the power that books possess for us and what happens when books are denied.
2. Soul-Breathers are a new paranormal creature with some very fun and fascinating powers.
3. One of the heroes is on the geeky side but still manages to be adorable.
4. The bad guy—or at least one of the bad guys—isn’t really so bad after all. You might even end up liking him.
5. The main character isn’t perfect. She’s like a normal person—starting off a little weak and scared but ending up growing as the story continues.
6. The story is told from multiple perspectives, so you can get into the minds of four different characters and really get to know them.
7. The setting is an urban, dystopian world, so it combines characteristics of both dystopian books and urban fantasy books.
8. There’s a kind of love-triangle, for people who like them, but hopefully it’s not an annoying one. The central relationship conflict for the heroine is being torn between one man who shares her ideals and another who’s claimed her emotions, and that conflict will end up determining her fate, not just her romantic choice.
9. There’s quite a bit of action, with the main characters nearly always in danger of their lives. But it’s not one action scene after another. There’s a lot of character development and romance too!
10. All of the characters are—consciously or unconsciously—searching for something that matters in a world that tells them nothing really matters. I think a lot of us can relate to that search.
Riana has learned how to stay out of trouble. She spends her days studying written texts in the government’s Office of Readers, and she spends her nights taking care of her sick sister. She always—always—follows the rules. Despite her low profile, she has mysteriously become a target. Someone has kidnapped her sister. Someone else is trying to kill her. And someone has sent a Soul-Breather to beguile her out of her secrets.
Her help comes from the mythic leader of an underground rebel movement. A man who used to be her friend. A man who has silently loved her for years. He disappeared from her life without a word, and now he expects her to trust him again.
Then there’s the Soul-Breather, a man who can taste her spirit with only a touch. He makes her feel things she’s never experienced before, but she doesn’t know if the feelings are real. Hired to deceive and betray her, he offers to help her instead.
Without both men, she can’t rescue her sister. And she can’t discover the world-changing knowledge—buried in her memory—that has made her a target in the first place.
Guest author: Susannah Noel
Part of our Spotlight feature
Amazon buy link: