Friday, November 2, 2012

Book review: Last Regress by Rachael J. Thorne

Author: Rachael J. Thorne
Title: Last Regress
Series: book 1
Genre: Adult paranormal romance, 
Published: 15/7 2012
My copy: Kindle edition received by Author
Purchase: AMAZON
My rating: 4 stars






The synopsis

So when she began writing a paper about a long forgotten case of death by Spontaneous Human Combustion, she assumed it would be a run-of-the-mill piece. Little did she realize that she was about to be plunged into a situation that would not only force her to question her own sanity, but also her skepticism about the nature of the paranormal.
Not to mention the dreams that just wouldn’t go away...
Alyssa Matthews thought she had an explanation for everything. After all, as a slightly skeptical paranormal investigator that was what she was used to doing; researching, observing and explaining.

My Thoughts

This book was so different from anything I´ve read before! In the beginning of this book I thought it was kind of slow. We get to know so much about our heroine´s thoughts that it feels like time stops or slows down just so she can think and think and think. It almost disturbs the conversation  she has, because she thinks to much. But if you can overcome that, which I did, you will love this book! It was so good. I guess all this thinking/describing is a writing style I am not used to, at least not in this genre. It is usually more common in fantasy so I was not expecting that but once I accepted it, I loved this book. 


The Love story is completely amazing, even though it happens kind of quickly. The fall hard and they fall fast for each other and there is just one problem with their relationship. She is alive and he is dead! Not an easy obstacle and that just makes this even more amazing! you can really feel the desperation they feel over their situation. But there are also other forces that keeps them apart to further complicate things!


I also love the side characters in this book like our heroine´s best friend, who loves her dearly, but he has a hard time dealing with her situation and thinks she is slowly going mad. He feels really protective of her and he does not really know how to handle the fact that someone he loves is, according to him, falling victim to madness. We also have our hero´s mentor. He is a really lovely and supportive character to our hero and he has become more than just a mentor, he is a friend. A friend who hates to see his charge suffer. 


But love is not all this story is about! There is something dark luring in the shadows and something much bigger than two people, dead or alive, at work here. And it gives this book an exciting twist, and not to mention that the ending took me completely by surprise. It was not what I expected! 


This book made me cry a lot but also put a smile to my face so this is so worth your time! You have to read this one! You won´t be sorry I promise!



A little teaser:



"I´m still not really getting this," she was becoming impatient with herself more than anything, "I´m also not quite sure I can believe that I´m sitting here having an argument with a ghost that seems to be claiming that it is a man, a human, who simply lives 'somewhere else'."

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I downloaded this one...gotta read it now!

Unknown said...

Yes you should!!