Wednesday, December 5, 2012

{Author spotlight} Interview with Michelle Madow



We hope you haven´t missed that we have the awesome writer Michelle Madow with us this month and she will have some fun things for us every week . Today we have an interview with her so that you readers can get to know her a little bit better. I hope you will enjoy and please be back on Sunday when she will have an excerpt for you guys from her very first book Remembrance.

INTERVIEW WITH MICHELLE MADOW


1. How did you come up with the idea of Remembrance?

Remembrance was inspired by Taylor Swift’s “Love Story” music video. (I am a HUGE Taylor Swift fan!) After I watched the music video, I had the idea for a story about a high school girl who sees her soul mate for the first time, and gradually remembers a past life they shared. There are lots of Taylor Swift references throughout the book!

2. Have you ever been in a similar situation as Lizzie with the whole love drama?

Not at all! The entire love triangle (love square?) story came completely from my imagination. 

3. How long did it take you to finish Remembrance?

It took me seven months to write the first draft, and then four months to edit it. It was so awesome to prove to myself that I could finish my first novel!

4. What do you like to do when you are not writing?

I love spending time with family and friends in my spare time. I also love reading, watching television, seeing movies, and traveling. Recently I’ve been getting into makeup and learning new tricks from YouTube Beauty Gurus to create different looks. 

I also used to be a dancer in high school—I did mainly ballet, jazz, and contemporary. Dance took a lot of time, though, and I stopped dancing in college once I realized it wasn’t something I was going to pursue professionally. I can also sort of play guitar, but I’m not very good at it!

5. When did you realise that you wanted to become a writer and how old where you when you started on your first book?

I’ve always created stories in my mind and have enjoyed writing, but I didn’t consider writing as a profession because I wasn’t sure if I could complete a novel, or if anyone would be interested in my ideas. Then I took an Intro to Creative Writing class when I was a junior in college. (I was 21 years old, almost 22.) I turned in the first chapter of Remembrance for a homework assignment, and my teacher and classmates loved it and encouraged me to write more! The positive feedback meant so much to me, and I decided that I would never know if I could complete a novel if I didn’t try. By the end of my junior year of college, I had finished the first draft of Remembrance.

6. What is one of the most surprising thing you have learned when writing?

I was surprised to discover that I enjoy the editing process more than drafting. Drafting is very tedious for me. I’m not a fast drafter—I can usually only write 1,000 – 1,500 words a day before feeling like each sentence is a struggle to get through. But when I’m editing, I can go for hours without taking a break! I love taking the draft of my story and making it the best it can be. 

7. What would you like to say to those who have not read Remembrance?

I hope you consider checking out the series to see if it’s something that interests you! It’s a modern day fairy tale, so if that sounds good to you, you will most likely enjoy Remembrance.

8. Any tips for aspiring authors?

The biggest piece of advice I have if you’re writing a novel is to make sure you have a solid writing schedule before you start drafting. While writing Remembrance, I wrote 1,000 words every weekday, in between my afternoon classes. If you don’t have a routine and daily word count goal, completing a draft will be difficult. Remember that writing is not a sprint—it’s a marathon. Slow and steady will get you to the end. It’s amazing how much progress you will make if you discipline yourself to write a little bit every day!

TIMELESS, the third and final part of the Transcend Time Saga by Michelle Madow, released on November 20, 2012. The Transcend Time Saga is about a high school student named Lizzie who has been reincarnated from Regency Era, England, but doesn’t realize it until she meets her soul mate from the past and he triggers her memories to gradually return. The series began with REMEMBRANCE (published July 25, 2011), and continued with the short story VENGEANCE (published December 8, 2011). The series has sold a significant number of copies so far, and has received much praise from reviewers.


Quotes from Reviewers about TIMELESS

"The combination of time travel, magic, and love makes Timeless an unforgettable page turner!"-For Those About to Read


"Timeless had great twists, particularly towards the end. For something inspired by a Taylor Swift song, Michelle has come up with a great series!"-Addiction to Words Reviews

"Just when I think I know what to expect, Michelle throws me a curveball! It was spectacular. And marvelous. And a little bit daring, which is what makes Timeless stand out so much!"
-Sparkles and Lightning

Purchase links:
REMEBRANCE: Amazon | B&N | book depository | ibookstore | kobo
VENGENCE:       Amazon | B&N | book depository | ibookstore | kobo
TIMELESS:         Amazon | B&N | book depository | ibookstore | kobo

For more info about Michelle Madow and her books go to;






No comments: