Sunday, March 3, 2013

{Book review} The battle of arcanon major by Alexandra May




Author: Alexandra May
Title: The battle of Arcanon major
Series: The lost Dacomé files #1
Genre: Young adult science fiction
My e-copy: received by author for review
Purchase: Amazon
My rating: 3.5 feet






“As daughter of our ruler I grew up in the crossfire of an ongoing war... All I’d ever wanted to be was a great warrior and ultimately lead my people into victorious battles."

With only a small army at her command Halíka Dacomé, a skilled warrior and daughter of the Elemental King, is ready to lead one final battle to save her planet. A battle against the savage, bloodthirsty Primords who want to extinguish the diminished race of Elementals once and for all.

But before battle commences her father is given an ultimatum from the enemy leader, Arfron Uhnok. If the king agrees, Halíka Dacomé must marry Arfron Uhnok to prevent further bloodshed. If the king disagrees they, as a race, will all perish.

Horrified by her fathers decision Halíka Dacomé leads her army onward regardless of the consequences. Because her heart belongs to another. A love that blossomed many years ago. A love that her father has forbidden. 

Halíka faces her toughest battle yet and learns that not all battles are those fought with a sword...


My thoughts: 

I liked this book. It was good and exciting. The author is really good at describing the, to the reader, unknown  scenery of another planet. I could really imagine how this place looked like and I really liked that.

But I did have some difficulties with this book and that is why I only gave it 3.5 feet, not because it was bad I just think perhaps it was too much war in this book. The battle scenes were too long. I mean in a way that is how the book should be since this book is about a battle but I just found it hard to read sometimes and I had to struggle with some parts of the book. I also felt some distance to the main character in some way and had problems to relate to her. But at the same time I think that was a way for her to survive her own life. She had to somehow distance herself from everything around her to keep her sanity. But that also made it hard for me as a reader to relate to her character.

But over all this was a good book worth reading. I do not feel like I have wasted any time reading this, not at all and I do think I would like to read the sequel because sometimes you need to read more than just the first book to really get to know a character and to understand the story the author wants to tell.

Other than too much war scenes this book had what you want a good book to have, a little romance, excitement and suspense.

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

Huh. I have a thing for battle scenes (okay, so fighting in general) and I really likethat cover, so I'm certainly considering this one!