Monday, September 23, 2013

Book review: Unexpected by Faith Sullivan

Author: Faith Sullivan
Title: Unexpected
Series: None
Genre: New adult/Contemporary romance
My copy: E-book from author for review
Purchase: Amazon
My rating: 4 feet

One day forever changes the destiny of college overachiever, Michelle Rhodes.

Shattered, confused and alone, no one understands the trauma consuming her until she meets Connor Donnelly.

A native New Yorker, he believes he can aid in getting her life back on track. But what if he's even more broken inside?

Offering her a chance at a fresh start, Connor convinces Michelle to move in with him. Hiring her to waitress at his bar, their mutual attraction only complicates matters.

As more details surrounding Connor's past emerge, Michelle uncovers the full magnitude of the loss he's trying to hide. Refusing to let her feelings for him hinder his recovery, she makes a decision that winds up hurting them both.

By sacrificing her heart, Michelle thinks she is helping Connor come to terms with his grief. Little does she know, Connor is gambling everything for the sake of having a future with her.

What happens is truly unexpected.

My Thoughts:

I went into this book thinking I would like it and I really did.
After reading the blurb I had a general idea of what the book would be about but the true story of it was totally unexpected (pun intended) and beautiful. 
We get to meet Connor and Michelle who are both struggling in the aftermath of one unforgetteble day in their lives.
I really liked both of their charachters and they where easy to feel with. I sometimes had a bit of trouble to relate to Michelle since it felt that she just ran from her problems instead of just working through them. She ran home to mom and dad instead. But...who am I to judge? I was not there so... I can´t even imagine what I would do in a situation like that. I just know that I feel for all of those who where.
Connor really was Michelles rock even though he had even worse problems than Michelle. He made her want to take care of her problems and in return Michelle was able to help him.

This book was moving and emotional and really gave me more insight. It was the first of it´s kind for me to read so it was interesting aswell. Faith has a way with words which makes it so well written.

The only thing that I can complain about was the love story between Michelle and Connor.
It felt like some parts where missing in it. It felt like they went from friends with some attraction between them to saying the L word in a jiffy and I would have loved if it would have been more about how they got there.

I can really recommend this book for anyone really!

No comments: