Monday, November 5, 2012

Author spotlight: Author interview with Susannah Noel



Hi Susannah and welcome to Rather barefoot than bookless. Today Sandra and myself  thought we could get to know you a little better through an interview that is all about books and reading!

  •         How old were you when learned to read? And how old were you when you discovered the world of books?

I think I was four when I learned to read. My grandmother taught me, and the first book I remember reading was The Ugly Duckling. Later, in first grade, I remember our teacher started reading a book out loud in class one day, and I went home that same day and read the rest of the book myself. So I’ve definitely been wrapped up in books my whole life!
  •         What genre did you start out with and how have your taste developed over the years up until now?

I’ve always read across genres, but romances and fantasies were my favorites from a really young age. Little Women was my absolute favorite book as a girl, but my other favorites were the Chronicles of Narnia and Lloyd Alexander’s Prydain books. I still probably prefer romance and fantasy, although I love all kinds of books. The only genre I really grew into was mystery. I didn’t like mysteries at all until after I graduated college, and now I like them a lot.
  •        Name a book that has had big impact on you in some way and why is that?

That’s a hard question, since so many of them had such a significant impact me on me. The most powerful emotional experience I’ve had with a book was with Guy Gavriel Kay’s Tigana. I really felt like I was a different person—like I’d lived a whole lifetime—when I finished it the first time. It’s still one of my favorite books. But the books I read and loved as a child and continue to read today probably did more to actually shape me as a person.
  •         What do you rather read, e-books or the real deal?

I read and am happy to read either. If I love a book and want to often reread it, then I’ll get it in a physical copy—just because I like the experience of turning the same pages from year to year. But I’m very happy to read e-books, and they really are more convenient.
  •         How many books do you think you own?

Thousands. I couldn’t begin to count. I teach literature at the college level, so I have a very large library in my office on campus. But my house is filled with them too. There’s a lot of them and very disorganized!
  •         Do you rather own or loan your books?

The only time I’ll borrow a book is if I don’t think I’ll like it and so I don’t want to waste the money on it. If I think I’ll like it, I have to buy it. I reread books all the time, so I have to own a copy myself.
  •         Your favorite place to read?

My couch, probably, although I also like to read in bed and I can easily read anywhere.
  •         Have you ever read a book you just couldn´t bring yourself to finish? What book?

Oh, yes. All the time. As my life gets busier, I get more and more selective about how I spend my time. I used to finish books, even if I didn’t like them, but I don’t waste my time doing that anymore. I will skim, though. Even if I’m not into a book, I’ll usually skim the rest of it just to see if it picks up or redeems itself. Sometimes, I’ll skim about halfway and then get to a part I like, so I’ll read the rest of the book. The book I most notoriously refuse to finish is Moby Dick. I just hate that book!
  •          So to the last question for today. What are you currently reading and what is up next on your TBR?

I tend to be obsessive about reading, so I can’t read much if I’m in writing mode—since I’ll keep reading and never get my writing done. Right now, I’m in writing mode, so I’m trying to stay away from any new books this month. I’ll catch up over the holidays.
  
Thank you so much for agreeing to this interview.
Thanks so much for having me!

Susannah will be back for more interviews during the month so don´t miss out on that!




Guest author: Susannah Noel
Part of our Spotlight feature
Blog:
 http://susannah-noel.com/
 
Amazon buy link:
http://www.amazon.com/Word-Breath-Wordless-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B008UM8XRM
Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15813110-word-and-breath

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/SusannahNoelAuthor

Twitter:
  https://twitter.com/SusannahNoel1




No comments: