Monday, May 13, 2013

{Book review} Never a mistress, no longer a maid by Maureen Driscoll



Author: Maureen Driscoll
Title: Never a mistress, no longer a maid
Series: Kellington #1
Genre: Adult, Historical romance
E-copy: from author for honest review
Purchase: Amazon
My rating: 4 feet




Caught behind enemy lines at the Battle of Waterloo, nurse Jane Wetherby is forced to seek shelter with British operative Lord Edward Kellington. After a night of passion, the two are separated. With nothing but the alias Jane used to protect her family, Lord Edward is unable to find the woman he cannot forget.
Seven years later, Jane courts scandal by serving as the unofficial surgeon in the village of Marston Vale. When Edward arrives to formalize his betrothal to a viscount's daughter in accordance with his late father's wishes, Jane has no choice but to watch the match proceed. When a threat from the past emerges, Jane must join forces with Edward to safeguard her loved ones. But at what risk to her heart?

My thoughts

This really was a wonderful story that had my interest from the beginning to the end. It was so much more exciting then the blurb suggest and I loved that surprise. It was so much more to the story I didn't count on and that made me want to read more and more. It wasn't just the typical historical romance it also had a lot of suspense in it.

The characters was also lovely though I do think our heroine in the story was a bit too headstrong for her own good. And Ned her male counterpart! Very dreamy indeed and he had a really kind heart and a strong sense of family. A great combination if you ask me.

Like most historical romances this does contain love scenes but they were very tasteful and sweet and I really liked that. They weren't too much or too little, they were just enough.

Like I said this story held my interest and I really liked they way the author writes and how the story was build. A great historical romance I am glad I had the chance to read.

1 comment:

Shane @ItchingforBooks said...

Never heard of this one before. Good review.